If you’re new to Disability Employment Services there can be a lot to learn, which can feel overwhelming. In this section, we’ve rounded up some of the most common acronyms and names you’ll hear, and provided easy to understand explanations.


A CRN is your Customer Reference Number from Centrelink. It’s 9 digits and ends with a letter. You’ll need one when you set up your MyGov account, apply for payments and services, or record and update information with Centrelink.


This is an acronym for Disability Employment Services (DES). This is a free program aimed at helping people with an injury, illness, disability or mental health condition find work. Not sure what’s classed as a disability, read our list here.


Disability Management Service  (written as DES- DMS) is a classification within Disability Employment Services. It’s for those customers who are looking for work, with disability, injury or health condition and need occasional support in the workplace to keep a job.


Employment Support Service  (written as DES- ESS) is another classification within Disability Employment Services. It’s for those customers who are looking for work, and have a permanent disability and need regular, ongoing support to keep a job.


Employment Consultant. This is the person who will be helping you through all your appointments and is your go- to for any questions you might have.


ESAT stands for Employment Services Assessment. It’s used to figure out how much support you might need, how many hours you could work and how severely your health condition might affect your ability to work. It’s normally completed in a face- to- face interview by a qualified allied health professional from the Department of Human Services.

Job Plan or Participation plan

A job or participation plans spells out what you’ve agreed to do; this might include appointments with us or third parties, activities and/or how many jobs you must look for over an agreed time frame.


This stands for jobseeker classification instrument, and is sometimes referred to as the job seeker snapshot. It’s a set of questions used to work out what level of support is needed, based on your circumstances to find, and keep a job.


This stands for Job Seeker Identification Number.

Mutual Obligations

Mutual obligations refer to the things you need to do to keep getting your payments and have the best chance of finding a job.  You can find out more about Mutual Obligations through Services Australia or by talking to your Employment Consultant.


This stands for Health Support Services. Our HSS team are highly-qualified Allied Health Professionals trained in providing extra supports to help you prepare for, and successfully get, a new job. Whatever your needs, they will work with you to develop a tailored plan that will support you in your job search. Ask your Employment Consultant for more information.

Have any questions?

Give us call or send us a message and one of our friendly team members will be in touch shortly.

Give our team a call on 1300 139 920

Send us a message

  • Please only click send ONCE and wait a few seconds!