Financial Assistance

To download or print the information from this page click here

Bushfire Recovery Assistance Fact Sheet- Summary of all resources

You can access the fact sheet here

The Disaster Welfare Assistance Line is open every day

Call 1800 018 444

8:30am- 4:30pm

Disaster Recovery Assistance Packages 

Call 180 22 66


Apply at DHS/Centrelink with this completed claim form. Click here to access Disaster Recover claim form.

When applying for disaster relief you need:

Proof of income

You will need one of the following:

  •  Centrelink advice letter
  •  Statement of income form employer
  •  Evidence of taxable income, (e.g. taxation advice) for self employed

Insurance details

  •  Policy numbers
  •  Insurance company correspondence

Verification of home loan repayments or rent

  •  Your last normal weekly rent receipt
  •  A statement from your lending authority

Proof of assets

  •  Bank Statements
  •  Proof of investments
  •  Council rate notice

Phone and Internet

Free phone call hotspots- Telstra

 Free calls for RFS Volunteers.

Call to register on 13 22 03

NSW Government Disaster Assistance

NSW Government financial support

To be eligible for this grant you must:

  • Be a low- income earner and meet an income assets test
  • Demonstrate that the affected home is your principal place of residence
  • Not be covered by insurance
  • Demonstrate that the damage was caused by the disaster
  • Lodge the application within four months of the disaster occurring

Contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.

Assistance for Landholders

If you, or your community has been affected by the fires and have concerns about your livestock, pets, companion animals or wildlife, call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 674 for assistance.

The Department of Primary Industry can help with:

  • Emergency fodder
  • Emergency stock water
  • Veterinary assistance
  • Livestock euthanasia and burial
  • Livestock deeding and management advice
  • Care of animals in evacuation centres

Bee keepers are also eligible for assistance if affected by fire, just like other animal managers. If you require emergency assistance to care for your hives as a result of the recent fires, call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline.

For more information, including eligibility criteria, see

For more information visit the NSW DPI website

Assistance for Tenants

Tenants have rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. This factsheet is about damage to rented premises that is neither the fault of the landlord nor the tenant – the result of a storm, fire or flood, or other causes of such damage (e.g. a car crashes into the premises).

Find out more here:

ATO Assistance is Available

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) understands that during this time there are more immediate problems you will be facing. Help is available to you whenever you need it and you can find out more information at the Australian Taxation Office website here:

Or call 1800 806 218

Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW offers Free legal aid for victims of natural disasters.

Find out more by visiting:

Or call the Disaster Response Hotline -1800 801 529

People affected by natural disaster can contact LawAccess NSW’s dedicated Disaster Response Hotline 1800 801 529, visit your closest Legal Aid office, or contact the Insurance Law Service.

Look for legal aid lawyers at the Disaster Recovery Centres.

Banks- Disaster relief contacts

The major banks have all announced ways they can help bushfire affected customers. The measures could include loan and credit card relief, suspending payments, waiving costs or interested.

Call your bank directly to see what help is available.

Commonwealth Bank: 1300 720 814

Westpac: Westpac Assist 1800 067 497

National Australia Bank: 1800 701 599

ANZ: 1800 149 549

Bendigo Bank: 1300 652 146

IMB: 133 462

This information is current as at 17 January 2020

Stay Informed

Register for our newsletter

Translate »